Thursday, January 28, 2010

The advantage of saying "crepi" over feeling "crappy"

Last night was my surprise premiere at the lovely Canadian Opera Company . I say surprise because only a week ago, I was picking my nose in New York and complaining about my life.
So this quick change was just what the doctor ordered- I flew in, I did cliff-notes rehearsals and then -bam- opening night.
What was returned to me, in a heart bit, was this immense joy I get when on stage.
Last night I decided to change my interpretation slightly- I wanted to add a different angle to my Carmen- which is more evident especially in act 4- after discussing the director's concept: I wanted to try take a more subtle approach where Carmen at the very end of her life still loves Jose, but decides to put on her tough face. (subtle, because more than anything, it's a tiny detail one can only notice very quickly in some passing moments, it's a nuance). So I added a bit more *noticeable* vulnerability to the mix, just to try it out, and it felt pretty good.
(You can see here what the *other* way to do it looks like- when my Carmen is decidedly shut to Jose's imploring).
At any rate- I am grateful to be here and be thrown into the water, which in fact is a refreshing fountain for my soul. Sounds poetic, but hey- when you feel content, poetry is one of the side effects.

4 Comments:

Blogger sophie colette said...

; "when you feel content, poetry is one of the side effects"

:D I like this very much. and i'm so glad you're content at the moment! I am definitely surprised about your new interpretative version of Carmen- I guess I can't see you as anything but the fiercest of Carmens. =) I'll have to check it out and see. is it on youtube yet?

10:41 AM  
Blogger sc@vp said...

canNOT wait to see you do this
(COC subscription tix holder - will be there on Saturday)

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw the performance on Tuesday night and you were wonderful. A tour de force - a perfect combination of the arts of singing and acting. Thank you!

9:40 PM  
Blogger Singin'rin said...

:) thank you ! :)

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home