Thursday, January 29, 2009

How to survive (a guide for opera companies)

I feel very fortunate; First of all there is something to be said about this whole "Canadians are nice" notion: It's true. Take it from me. I mean; I really haven't come across any hostility, any uncalled rudeness, even the homeless people here (and there are lots), are polite and lovely.
But from the genuinely nice receptions and donors to the press, I just have been feeling like I am back in my mother's womb; Nice and cozy, and loved.
What the company here has done to survive the recession , is a prize- winning campaign that's not only "nice" but also savvy; They decided to blast the media, overflow the city and invade cyberspace . And boy did they do good!
Of course, I personally, had to work extra hard in between long rehearsals, to go to interviews (both for the papers and for TV ), and photo shoots, and meet up with journalists in my "free" time... but the result was breath-taking;
Sold up performances, a cheerful audience, and a whole new layer of new, young (and excited) opera goers.
Well done, Vancouver Opera!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BRAVA Rinat - wonderful reviews and I enjoyed watching the clip on TV!!!

I wish that Connecticut Opera had the success that Vancouver is experience in these financial times!

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home