Thursday, January 11, 2007

Auditions.


I had a few pretty good auditions this past week. But as I felt serious about new rep, my last lesson was about what NEW stuff can sound good, coming out of my weird mouth.
After that I went to the MET to see the First Emperor which I actually truly enjoyed; seated right behind the composer/conductor at the pit, and able to watch both stage AND orchestra, I really loved all the Chinese quotes and mixes, and the lush production, and the good acting and singing, especially coming out of Mr. Domingo.
This dear fantastic artists; I have met him several times before (personally introduced by Barenboim, and then bumping into each other on a few different occasions in Vienna, and in New York), and this time around, I was taken there by a good old friend of his, who led me right into the " VIP only" dressing room area.
After exchanges of warm regards and compliments, I gratefully received an overdue "audition" time slot from him, which put me in a state of sheer excitement for the next 24 hours.
I feel OK in auditions; cattle calls, ("nnnext!"), managers , singers, and lots of opinions whispered around.OK by me.
But where I can be really good, is usually when it is the "one on one " session; only me, and the conductor. (oh , and the pianist! ) :)
So yesterday, early evening, the fabulous Domingo came to the orchestra rehearsal room at the MET and gave me a chance.
I think I was very nervous only because while I was singing, it hit me: he KNOWS exactly what I am doing here, he can read me TOO well! technically or emotionaly, whatever I "fake" or manipulate, he can tell; after all, he *is* a singer himself!
Mister Domingo must be the busiest man on earth, and probably is extremely tired too. He was very nice to me and a perfect gentleman. (no flirting, to all of you who were worried).
Thank God, I passed his "preliminaries". My next round would be to sing for him on his own main stage, where he can truly judge my voice as it is, in the real space.
Frankly I was hoping for a better and more instant result than that, but after a pretty intensive few past months really, I guess I wasn't my absolute best yesterday. What can ya do. I will try to forgive my self today, and look forward to next month.
______________________________________

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But you did well! Yay! HURRAH!!! :)

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home