Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Wie Suess

I feel so grateful for my good efforts to study German (and other languages) once upon a time, when I had the short-lived drive and (for a sec) went for it. To this day, it makes me so much more comfortable hanging out by my self in a foreign city, and not feeling like I want to die.
Last night I couldn't find a taxi after rehearsal, and it was late and dark, and I was all alone, and know nobody here.
I stumbled upon the S-Bahn train which took me to my stop, except I got out through the wrong tunnel and got lost for another hour or so, in a below- freezing temperature, after a Trans-Atlantic flight and an immediate full carmen rehearsal the same day/evening. It is not great fun then , to get lost, I'll tell you that.
But without my German I would probably just collapse in the middle of the street and start crying till I'd fall asleep and eventually freeze to death. With it, I actually asked some people how to get to my hotel and somehow managed to finally hit my bed. (The reason it took me an hour was because in the first half, I tried to find my street by following the map. The other half was wasted because I asked the WRONG PEOPLE for directions!) But the sense of victory beat it all; I survived the winter night!
This evening though, I decided to come out after rehearsal and find me some food. I must say, that Just around Christmas, the Germans are being all cute; They set little Christmas markets outdoors, where you can buy spicy hot wine, wooden tree ornaments, humongous yummy sausages in tiny little buns, honey cookies, all kinds of chocolate covered fruit... you start feeling like you are on a tour at Hansel and Gretel's
So, I found the Christmas market in the center of Stuttgart, and I enjoyed it so much, even though people were giving me dirty looks because I was wearing my pink Russian furry hat, and my big snow boots and some un-matching scarf.
Sorry y'all; if you want to be warm, you end up looking like a bag lady. That's just how it is, and I don't, especially today, care.
The people here don't understand this. Yea they all look all shiny and "sehr kool" in their tiny leather jackets and newly grown/cut mullets, but even with their hot Glue Wein and lit cigarettes, you can easily notice that they're still freezing their titten off and secretly wishing they'd had some of that ugly hat of mine too.
I munched on a tasty (Mayo, filled with a little bit of a) sandwitch and this time I found my way back to the hotel just wunderbar.

4 Comments:

Blogger Peter Bucknell said...

You funny

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like an interesting production. Can you explain this photo?

http://www.staatstheater.stuttgart.de/oper/spielplan/bild_popup.php?stid=98&id=226

10:32 PM  
Blogger Singin'rin said...

Hi Sean, this production indeed is SO interesting, that I wanted to write a full entry about it, I am just waiting to get a bit more familiar with it; As in most returning productions in Europe, you get hardly ANY rehearsal and almost no explanation beside the dry blocking of the piece, So I want to watch the archive DVD and read some notes before I say anything.. However, I can tell you that the entire story is presented from Jose's disturbed point of view,(what's true to the novel) as he kills his cruel (here; almost S&M'ie..) Carmen at the very beginning of the show. The photo you are asking about is of the quintet, and I assume the clown noses are (for a short time) the (un-)funny silliness here (and Don Jose wears one too later, tied up to his TV chair, as he's paralyzed by his own head.) again, I might be wrong, but I sure hope to find out more before my opening night ... :)

4:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the difference between a soprano and a terrorist?

You can negotiate with a terrorist.

What's the first thing a soprano does in the morning?

Puts on her clothes and goes home.

How many sopranos does it take to change a light bulb?

One. She holds the bulb and the world revolves around her.

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/i/acrosstheworld/12_06_07/fgoGala/fgoGala07.jpg

Cheers

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home